NOT a good way to start the new school year!
Well, the new school year has officially begun. (Or has it??) But first, I must provide some background information.
2.4 was one of my classes last semester. They started out being fun but quite ditsy. As my half of the semester went on, the ditsy-ness grew into huge frustration. While my other two classes took advantage of my availability for extra help, this class did nothing. While my other two classes took advantage of my lenience for late work (half-credit, but really helpful if they turned nothing in the whole time), this class did nothing. As a result, only a handful passed the final while many failed the class as well. It also left me very frustrated.
So, last week when I found out that I was going to be teaching the same students (now 3.4), I had the bitter taste in my mouth return. I have spent the past few days trying to convince myself to have a good attitude but they have been difficult self-discussions.
All morning today, I was trying to balance the excitement for the school year beginning with the dread of my first class being 3.4. I thought that the excitement was winning out and when the top student called me to see if class was meeting today, I was able to smile.
Lunch finished, I made copies of my syllabus (because the ones I had ordered weren't done yet) and I made it up to the classroom. No one was there. I called the top student to check that we had the same room numbers on our various schedules. Same. So, I asked when everyone was coming and she laughed and told me that they had decided not to have class today. I was appropriate for Thai culture but still made it clear that I was very frustrated and that I am the one who decides if, on a school day, we have class or not! Definitely not a good way to start the school year!


2 Comments:
You're got to be kidding me! That's common in Thai culture? Whoa! Good for you for keeping your cool!
No, not common in Thai culture to usurp authority but I couldn't get angry angry at them for doing it -- had to be sweet anger!
Post a Comment
<< Home