Let's get ready to ramble!
Alrighty, so that Jeri rambles begin again! :) (Lucky you!)
I am now settled in Port Harcourt -- it's a great place -- it reminds me of a more spread out Grenada! The people are really friendly but I've hit mass soap-opera stories from my parent's housekeeper who might actually be dumping her lying and cheating fiance. Drama, drama, drama! :)
So, here's the good (and not so good) events from my many hours of traveling. I took off from Denver at 6:15 in the morning on Monday and was quickly smashed between fat-snoring dude next to me and the edge of the plane on the other side. Luckily it was only a 2 hour flight to Chicago!
I had a decent layover in Chicago -- and ate a Chicago hotdog in honor of you, Grandma! :) (This was while I was trying to find an agent from the small airlines that I was taking to Newark because I had yet to receive a boarding pass.) So, 10 minutes before my flight was supposed to board, I still had no boarding pass. A man who flew frequently with this airlines helped me find an agent who, after a long moment, gave me a boarding pass. I ran (very literally) to the gate that was at least a mile down this long and narrow hallway. Thankfully, I made it -- and I was seated in 1st class!
Once we hit Newark, I had 2 hours to book it to get my bags (they couldn't check them all the way through), check them in again, and board my flight before take-off. My bags luckily were all there but did take a while -- especially when I was in an impatient moment! The carts at Newark only went forwards so I had to do circles to maneuver through the crowds, to the elevator, and to the United check-in. It was there that I found out that my tickets were not for United (as was printed) but were for Lufthansa -- which of course was in the other terminal! So, I had to take the elevator down, run across the airport to another elevator, take that one up to meet the train, and take the train to the Lufthansa check-in. And, yes, this was with all my bags and my stupid only-going-forward cart, running whenever there was any kind of opening. I arrived at the check-in only to find out that they have a lower weight limit for carry-ons and one of mine was way over. So, I had to check it. They did give me a bag for my laptop so that I could keep that with me.
But, ok, so here's the great part . . . I got business class for my flight from Newark to Frankfurt (8 hours of pure glory!) I was waited on hand and foot -- had constant liquids for my lately dehydrated body, incredible food, and my every wish was granted! There was so much legroom that I couldn't even touch my backpack when I stretched my legs as far as they could go! The seats completely reclined (the legs, the back, and the mid-section). It even did a 5 minute massage with the push of a button! I got to choose the TV/Movie programs as well. It was the best time! I felt like a little kid playing with all of these new toys! Thanks STA travel! :)
I had a long layover in Frankfurt -- an airport that was so busy there weren't any seats! So, I walked a long while, back and forth. My wallet was in my laptop bag that I had gotten from Lufthansa -- the bag which zipper fell off when I closed it! So, I just walked!
My Frankfurt-Lagos flight wasn't as fun. I was in Economy on that flight -- smack dab in the middle of the plane! (So much for requesting an aisle.) There were a million kids -- many of whom were screaming and all! But I did get some sleep thanks to sleep meds.
So, all in all, I did make it to Lagos. We took a flight to PH this morning. And that gets me back to where I started. 'hope you enjoyed my ramblings! Check back later for pictures and more excitement!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home