Reports from Thailand

27 June 2006

Nigeria

Wow! It’s been a crazy last couple weeks! I’m sorry that I haven’t been better at updating y’all but they only have dial-up internet here on the camp so it takes forever to do anything.

I’ve been having lots of fun in Nigeria – it’s a completely different experience than life in Denver, Colorado! I’ve done a lot of exploring and market shopping here in Port Harcourt (always with the driver, of course). Shopping in markets is always accompanied by an entourage of “helpers” wanting money for their “services.” There is also a constant shouting of “ah-wee-bo” (Nigerian term for white people). We are allowed to walk out of the camp, but we are only able to go to the neighboring Total camp (about a 30 second walk before entering yet another “prison”).

Last week, my mom and I joined my dad (who was up there for meetings) in Abuja. It’s the capital and, for appearances-sake for foreign dignitaries, is very clean and progressive. I got some great fabric at amazing prices there. My parents’ driver Prince’s fiancée, Glory, is going to sew some fantastic clothes from the fabric I chose.

Yesterday, we went to a village – about an hour and a half drive. It was fantastic! I really wanted to see the real Nigeria (not just the cities) while I was here. We went to a bush market – where the farmers bring their produce to sell to the middle-man who will then take the food to Port Harcourt markets. The people were very excited to see us and followed us all around. There wasn’t the “ah-wee-bo, come see, you like” stuff – they were just shocked to see ex-pats in their village. Once we finished with the bush market, we went on to a village. The people were very friendly and the children loved letting us snap their picture. We were apart of a greeting tradition – the visitors bring coca (a very bitter seed/fruit/I don’t know what!), the men pass it around and say a good word and/or prayer for all that God has given them in the food and friendships, then the youngest male cuts the coca up and gives it to everyone to partake. It was great that they included us in this tradition!

I'm going to try to post some pictures. If it doesn't work today, I will try again later.

I am leaving for Thailand on Friday morning and will hopefully have more news and pictures once I’m there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home