The Not So Simple Sounds of m, ah, and y
One would think that putting these three sounds together would be a fairly simple task. However, that is not the case here in Thailand! As many of you know, there are 5 tones in the Thai language -- low, mid, high, rising, and falling. But, couple that with having to know the length of the vowel and it gets really confusing. The m-ah-y word, for example, can now be turned into 10 different words with completely different meanings. May (pronounced m-eye, rhyming with cry, etc.) can be said in these ways . . .
- may (falling tone) makes any verb or adjective negative -- like, 'may dii' is 'not good', 'may saap' is 'don't know'.
- may (high tone) is a question word -- used at the end of a sentence and is basically translated as 'right?'
- maay (high tone; long vowel) means wood :), it is also a classifier for pork :)
- may (low tone) means again or new
So, those four are all I know right now but they're quite different, may? 'just a little taste of what I'm going through with the language learning process!
On more of an update side, I have my module test on Tuesday. I've finished the first book -- and am 1/6 of the way done! I am really feeling much more confident about speaking. I worked alone with a Thai girl this past Thursday and we were able to communicate quite well. When Kathleen called and told me we needed to do something, I was able to translate what she had said to Nim once I had hung up my phone. I am definitely not at the point where I can say anything I am thinking but I know enough to take a different path to communicate that same point!
I went to my teacher's church today (and dragged Amy along too). It was great! It was really small. My former teacher's husband is the pastor. Khruu Tan (my teacher) had written all of the songs out phonetically so I was able to sing along. In Thai churches everyone always stays to eat lunch there. Khruu Tan's mother had made the food today. She (and everyone else, come to think of it) loved that I like spicy food. They laughed when I took more and they realized that I was actually telling the truth! I'm going back next week and will hopefully be able to stay for the young people's Bible study after lunch.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home