Reports from Thailand

29 June 2006

Proposals

Today was an . . . interesting day. I think that June 28th sets a record for the number of proposals that I have ever gotten in one day!

My mom, Lucy (their housekeeper), and I went to a market today. It was incredibly crowded (or "rowdy" as the Nigerians call it), complete with much B.O. and, yes, many single and desperate men.

There were several methods used to get their point across but mostly the men would reach out and grab my hand (or arm if they couldn't reach my hand) and shout "Ah-wee-bo, I love you. Marry me." A couple even chose to ask my mother for permission to marry her daughter.

I lost track of how many proposals I got during the hour and a half that we were at the market, but I do think that it broke personal records for sure. And, no, I did not respond positively to anyone! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home