Thai markets
So, I've been going to Thai markets for a while now. Yesterday, I walked through the local fruits and veggies market on my way to lunch with a friend, then I went to the biggest market in the city -- dtalaat(market) Warorot and bought some dried mangos (mmmm!!) and then I went to the Night Bazaar with Amy and Christine. I've decided that I really don't like the Night Bazaar. It's way too touristy and much too expensive! Amy told me that she's found a place that sells DVDs for 80 baht ($2) at the Sunday night walking street market (my favorite) so now there is no reason why I should ever have to go to the Night Bazaar again (aside from the sticky rice and mango, but there are other places to find this as well!).
Then, today I did my weekly shopping with Linya (a Thai girl who works at the home). We go to a very cheap fruits and veggies market where, for example, you can get 3 massive wee (bunches) of Thai bananas for about 50 cents! It occurred to me -- as I'm carrying my purse from a market in Nigeria -- how much of a difference market shopping is here than any other foreign country I've been to!
It's so pleasant to shop at Muangmai market! Yes, I do get many glances and stares but let's face it -- I definitely stand out in a crowd! Blond curly hair, a head taller than anyone else, very white skin (considered beautiful here -- most lotions and face creams actually have a whitening element to them!) -- I do stand out in a congested area of Thais! But there's no shouting, no 'hey beautiful, look what you can buy', just a lot of curious onlookers who are really honored that a farang would come to their stand and be polite enough to buy something in the local language! A couple of the brave ones try their English out on me and the owners of the regular stops know that I am learning Thai and know a little more each time I come.
Today, what I was really impressed with was the cleanliness. We must have gotten there at a slightly different time because it was the first time I've seen it. Going down the little alley between vendors was a massive yellow garbage truck. Every vendor had a bag (or basket) ready of all of their rotten food and trash. When the truck sauntered by, their trash would go bye-bye. It's such a simple yet brilliant idea to keep the area clean, smell-less, and free of flies.
Well, I should be wrapping this up -- I need to write more of my Thai story (an assignment for my second book of language). It's about a very large spoon that wants to eat my fingers but then decides that he needs a friend more than food! I was getting bored of the my plans for the day stories so my teacher said that I could make something up. We had a great laugh today and she asked me to keep the saga going!

Amy at the Night Bazaar.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home