The New Meets the Old
So, I'm sitting at Starbucks -- yes they can be found on many corners even here in Thailand! I'm sipping on my mango tea frappachino as I memorize Thai vocabulary. It's the perfect spot to sit -- no once else is on the second floor, I'm in a comfy chair and I have a great view of the world outside! The cars, motorcycles and songtaws are zipping by. Tourists are getting going on the day's adventure.
Straight out the window is Thapae Gate -- the busiest of all five of the ancient city's gates. The brick walls are still completely intact over here. It's absolutely beautiful craftsmanship.
As I watch person after person walk through the gate, my mind wonders just how many millions of people have crossed that threshold. What was life like in the Lanna kingdom? What changes have these walls "seen"?
This is the epitome of differences, of the new world meets the old. About 200 meters outside the 710-year-old walls is a staple of modernity, a sign that Chiang Mai has "arrived", has joined the western world. And that, my dear friends, brings me back to my comfy seat here on the second floor of Starbucks, working ever-so-diligently on learning the Thai language!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home