Reports from Thailand

30 May 2006

The Clock is Ticking . . .

Wow! Time is going quickly! I will be flying this time 2 weeks from now. I've been packing the house all weekend -- I think that it's been the longest weekend of my life! Only 7 1/2 more school days left. It's all going so quickly. Still be praying about homes for my animals -- still no real leads yet. I am going to be sending my support letters out soon. If I don't have your address and you're interested in supporting me, be sure to let me know! :)

19 May 2006

I'm going! :)

So, I heard from Kathleen and I am going to Thailand! Yay! I am very excited!! :) They all unanimously want me! So, I leave on June 12 for Nigeria and then will head to Thailand from there. Please pray for my sanity in these next 3 1/2 weeks! I have a million and a half things to do -- all while finishing the school year without allowing my kids (or parents) to pull all of my hair out! Oh happy day! :)

15 May 2006

This is the week!

So, slight change of plans. I am going to be hearing by the end of this week whether or not the staff at the orphanage is for me coming to join them.

Because of timing with visas -- I am leaving on June 12 to visit my parents in Nigeria and then head from there to Thailand -- Kathleen has been nice enough to move up the date. Visas for both of these countries can take up to 2 weeks plus mail time and my passport has to be sent to both embassies. So, I have to send off for and receive my visa from Nigeria before I can send off for my Thailand visa, hopefully getting it back in time to board the plane!

So, Kathleen is talking with her team at Tuesday's staff meeting and they will have a decision by the end of the week. So, . . . please pray that God will lead them in the right direction for my life! Check back later this week to hear the news!

07 May 2006

A job for me here at home

This was a crazy week at my school! I found out that the 2nd grade position was taken away from in-school and given to someone who lost their tech-job somewhere else within the district. I know it's sad, but I must admit that I did laugh that all that time was spent on interviews and debating only to be told by HR who was going to teach there.

Jagger, one of the teachers on my 4th grade team, has talked about the possibility of moving back to Florida (he just had a baby and they want to be around family). This week, it became official so I get the 4th grade position if Thailand doesn't work out. I still really want to go to Thailand but it's nice to know that I won't be completely up a creek if God says "no!"

I told my team about the hope of going to Thailand -- awkward situation, thanks to my principal. But, oh well! They freaked out with excitement for me! I was a little worried about their opinion of it all because of their anti-God attitudes but this was great!! :) Jen has spent time in Thailand (and in Chiang Mai) and says that she never felt safer during traveling in another country than she did in Thailand! Not that it would happen, but she said that it would be fun to team-teach over there. :) They all agree that it's a perfect time in my life to do something like this and are even excited about the mission part of it all!

I am going head-first into Thai language learning, making a real start today. I'm really excited about this and I'm excited about the book and CDs that I chose. It even teaches the written language.

I am, of course, still waiting on hearing from Thailand -- won't be until the end of the month. But, it's good to know that God is good! :)

04 May 2006

To go or not to go . . . that is the question

I got an email from Kathleen (the lady who runs the orphanage in Thailand). Long story short, she told me that I will be hearing from them on May 29. There are many reasons for pushing this date back, but all in all, I am thrilled that the team is taking the time to pray about this important decision. The date does push everything back to becoming really tight right at the end of the school year, so please pray for me -- for patience, for direction, and for the ability to make wise decisions whenever I am able to move forward.

Tentative planning . . .

If I go to Thailand, the plan is to leave a couple days after school gets out and stop in Nigeria to see my parents. I would get to Thailand in the beginning of July and start work. I am allowed to leave for my little brother's wedding in August. This relieves some stress because I will be able to leave some things in the states and know that I can pick it up on my 2nd plane to Thailand. Once back in Chiang Mai, I would continue working at the orphanage -- setting up preschool-like routines, getting my driver's license, and learning the language and culture. In January, I would travel 100ish miles to Chiang Rai for 5-6 months of DTS (Discipleship Training School). Once that is done, the plan is to go back to the orphanage and apply for a long-term position there.

If God shows me not to go to Thailand, I have possible jobs here at my school and in my school district. I am hoping that this will not be the case though!

So, on May 29, check back in with me and I should definitely know more!